Thursday, August 18, 2011

Coastal California kind of sucks. A lot.

Don't let the photographs fool you. They were taken during the few moments of picturesque weather on this entire coast. At every other time, the weather has been dreadfully foggy to the point that nothing beyond ten feet in front of you id visible. And that's a problem when you're biking on Highway 1.

I'd like to think that this rode was constructed for human travel, with at least at least a consideration for the notion that cyclists might use it. All the biking guidebooks, the Adventure Cycling maps, they all say to ride it, I'm here to open your mind. DO NOT RIDE ON HIGHWAY 1. IT SUCKS. Why?

1. Not only is there no shoulder, but there are actually thorny plants that stick and prod you into the center of the lane

2. Although there are signs posted to watch for cyclists, people love to joyride at 40+ mph around completely blind corners. I want to cleave out their intestines with my bare hands and eat their soul.

3. It's also heavily used by logging trucks, which really wouldn't be that bad since they make enough noise that I can pull off onto the grass/thorns before they reach me. Except COWS ROAM FREELY ON THE HIGHWAY. This morning, a logging trucks came hurtling at me. I tried to pull off the road as soon as I heard it coming around the corner, but there was a cow on the side of the ride. And God, was that cow scared of me. So there I am, standing on the edge of a cliff in between a possibly violent cow and a logging truck coming full speed ahead. I tried to calmly get closer to the cow to avoid being squahed, but that bovine was not having it. It ran straight into the road and caused all sorts of chaos.

4. Finally, the entire highway is pasted on a cliffside and constantly shrouded in fog. The views would be grand were they actually visible and didn't cost your life to see.

I actually ended up riding 30 miles inland to escape the highway and the clouds. I'm in Santa Rosa, CA right now, about 55 miles from San Francisco. I could probably ride there today, but I'm feeling really lazy. Besides, I can't get my hands on a bike box, pack my bike, and organize a ride to the airport by 7 AM tomorrow morning. I'll probably fly out Monday morning instead. I will be home soon, my children.

I cant get all the pics uploaded in timeA!!!

1 comment:

  1. A) I wish I'd known you were Santa Rosa before now cause my aunt lives there and would've pampered you. B) NorCal sucks ass. You should've come do SoCal and we would've had a blast.

    ReplyDelete