Monday, August 1, 2011

Route change, Deception State Park, and dead cyclist (not me)

There's not a whole lot to this post. Just a few things I want to mention before I head out of the library.

My intention this morning was to ride back to Seattle from Bellingham, WA, 107 miles away. However, even when I plan to ride more than 100 miles loaded in a day, the stars align to change those plans. I stopped for a meal in Burlington at around 11 AM. That's where I realized how much I hate backtracking. Since I rode up from Seattle to Vancouver, I've already ridden this whole way before and it seems pointless. Sure, I could take a different route. But I only have 21 days left to get as far south as I can; I need to take the shortest paths.

So I decided in that moment to change my route again. Instead of continuing south to Seattle, I'm headed west now to the coast. I'm about to take a ferry to cross some body of water and then I should be camping in some state park tonight. Tomorrow, I'm headed around and through Olympic National Park, including the town of Forks, WA, the setting for the Twilight Saga. I haven't read it, but I'm still excited to see what Edward merchandise is available for purchase.

From there, I'm going to continue down the coast of Washington and most of Oregon. I'm still making my 200-mile side trip into Crater Lake National Park, but that won't be happening until southern Oregon. I'll figure that out when I get there.

I'm off to the ferry. Enjoy some pictures from Deception Pass State Park which I rode through today.



Bike lane railing was added after a 50 mph wind blew a cyclist into traffic

No comments:

Post a Comment